Parish Gumpoldskirchen



Gumpoldskirchen is first mentioned in documents in 1140, but it certainly existed some time before this date - the history books unfortunately do not tell much about it. The same applies to the Parish of Gumpoldskirchen. We also do not know when it came into being, whether it was independent from the beginning or whether it belonged to a neighbouring parish. The first signs of its existence are found in the 13th century. Today the parish Gumpoldskirchen belongs to the ecclesiastical district "Dekanat Mödling" (Mödling chuch district) in the administrative unit "Vikariat unter dem Wienerwald”. (Vicariate in the Vienna Woods)

Our parish church rises picturesquely at the foot of the Anninger, where, together with the Deutschordens Castle, it forms an inviting ensemble of buildings.


Whether the military character of the parish church, still visible today in remains, was already accomplished under the Babenbergs or only under the sovereignty of the Order has never been established for certain. The current building stock dates from the first half of the 15th century. The last Babenberg Frederick II transferred the patronage right of the church and parish to the Teutonic Order on July 31, 1241. In 1261, Pope Aexander IV confirmed this donation. Since this time, the parish is pastorally cared for by the order. The church itself is dedicated to the Holy Michael.


The last war damage to the tower and church roof was repaired in 1947 and the interior was substantially renovated. After a general renovation of the inner house in stages between 2004 and 2006, the church shines in its present bright splendour. The festive reconsecration took place at the end of September 2006.


Since 2008, a Gothic labyrinth has complemented the harmony of the parish church and the castle. Visitors and the population alike enjoy walking through this labyrinth meditatively and include it in the course of various celebrations.

Location and how to get there